Friday, July 11, 2014

Better than an attorney -- the LDS write great escape clauses!

     When Joseph Smith (or possibly Sidney Rigdon or Oliver Cowdery) put together the Book of Mormon, it was apparently intended that when Jesus spoke of "other sheep" (John 10:16) he was speaking of the Nephites and Lamanites who supposedly migrated from Jerusalem to the western hemisphere around 600 B.C.
     Then somebody (perhaps Smith, Rigdon, Cowdery or others) said, "Oops!  Christians will say Jesus was speaking of the Gentiles (non-Jews).  We need to stick something in here to counter that notion!"
     Therefore, three verses were added to III Nephi 15 (vv. 21-23):   "And verily I say unto you, that ye are they of whom I said: Other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.  And they understood me not, for they supposed it had been the Gentiles; for they understood not that the Gentiles should be converted through their preaching.  And they understood me not that I said they shall hear my voice; and they understood me not that the Gentiles should not at any time hear my voice -- that I should not manifest myself unto them save it were by the Holy Ghost."       Now the argument can be (falsely) made by the LDS that since Jesus never spoke to a Gentile (ridiculous, since Jesus spoke to a Roman centurian (Matthew 8:5-13), the Samaritan woman at the well (John 4:1-42), the Syrophonecian woman (Mark 7:25-30; Matthew 15:21-28) and others), the Gentiles would have to hear him through the Holy Spirit.  So Jesus must have been talking about some other people group (which the LDS claim were the descendants of Lehi in the New World).
     To say it another way, "Let's squelch their (Christian) arguments before they can make them!"  In terms of writing legal documents, this is called an "escape clause."  And if that doesn't work, use the "Great Mormon Escape Clause," Article 8 of the Articles of Faith:  "We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly."  In other words, Jesus may have never mentioned "other sheep" in the first place!
     Because of "escape clauses," twisting Scripture, re-writing history and downright religious dishonesty, Latter-day Saints can win any and every argument.  The sad thing is that although they win the argument, they have lost their souls for all eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment